Wednesday 16 October 2013

Digipak ~ First Draft

Creating:


 



In my process of creating my first draft of my digipak I first of all decided to create my background which is in fact a landscape silhouette of Sheffield. I decided to do this as it helps represent where the band ‘Arctic Monkey’s’ is originally from. My initial idea was to keep it simple and keep the outline which I created over the software ‘Photoshop’ in black and white but after playing around on Photoshop and experimenting with colours I decided I wanted the background colour to be within the blue/purple colour region. 

On the left hand side is a few examples of my experiments with colours. I thought this would be a good thing to do because as it's the background is quite important as it's the base of the whole of the digipak and because I want a theme linked between the whole on the new released album I thought this could be an ideal theme which I could have between my digipak and magazine advert to help represent to the audience that there both advertising the same product within the same band.  


After I had finally made my mind up on the colours and aspects of the actual background of my digipak I then went onto finalise my chosen font which I wanted the artists name to be printed in. I wanted the text to give off a raw impression as the Arctic Monkeys are quite grunge and hipster within the music industry but also i wanted the text to give of an effect that it was rushed and the band doesn't really care all they care about is the music. Some of my ideas are below:














After doing my research within text I finally decided on my chosen font which is named 'permanent marker'. I think that this font works really well as it simply looks as if one of the band members have just quickly wrote it which could in fact give off another personal aspect to there audiences because it doesn't look as formal and structured.

I also went on to decide which font I wanted to be on the alarm clock. I decided to make sure i wanted an alarm clock font so that it would look more professional so I then went onto 'font squirrel', which is a website for fonts.

First Draft of Digipak:

Below is my first draft of my digipak which I have created towards my A2 Media coursework. I decided to use my background landscape of Sheffield throughout the whole of the project because I thought it would look better by having a theme throughout it. 


With my front cover I wanted to keep it quite simple because by researching album covers especially Indie Rock bands they don't put too much on the front cover. I also thought that the font which I chose works really well because it does make it look as if someone had wrote it so it doesn't look so structured. I think that the track list section of the digipak is my favorite because I think that the colours go great together. For this section I first of all had to take a picture of a vinyl then free transform it on Photoshop and position it in the correct place. I then upload the track listings and altered the colour of the text. I decided to put the record labels name on the back of the digipak above the barcode because it could be seen as a selling point to customers because people may not know who The Arctic Monkeys are but they may know that Domino Records only sign top class acts. I decided to use polaroid images as templates for one of the inside panels because i thought it would be a good way to help portray old and present images of the band over the years. I also thought that by having polaroid images it could help show that they have been together a long time and they have great chemistry together. During the editing stages of this section i tried to make the images look old and discoloured because they was meant to be Polaroid images. During the editing stage of the CD section i came to the conclusion of not importing an image of an alarm clock but instead draw it over Photoshop with the pen tool. I thought this would look better because I would suit the rock genre by giving off an effect of rebellion. I also decided to include the bands autographs on this section because from research I have noticed bands tend to do this because this is another great selling point of the album. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to finish my digipak in time for the first draft deadline so I never had chance to finish the second panel which i had planned to include images of the bands silhouette walking along the street. 









No comments:

Post a Comment